Lasallian Volunteers 2006-2007

He has called us each by name...

Monday, September 18, 2006

i'm sure the stars suck too, you know...when you're out there...

Weeks are coming and going here in Kansas City and I'm happy for that, things don't 100% feel settled yet, but I can see that point coming on the horizon. At least, I hope I can see it coming. Last week was the second session of my Youth Group with the migrant project and, for all my worry that using a session as a planning or sounding group, it went relatively well. In my own classroom, when I student taught, I was always working with the idea of a horizontal or decentralized power structure in the classroom being my ultimate goal, meaning I was working to turn my students into the actual power behind the classroom. I think that I'm trying to do that with the Youth Group and my fear is that once they get into to the position where they have to be responsible, like my classroom attempts, they'll freeze up and not step up to the challenge. But, so far, as I've said, they've been surprisingly self-directed and mature about making decisions for themselves within the group.

Today is the next session, and it's sports day! We'll have a soccer game, a US football game, and a kickball game going on with sandwich fixings in the park. I'm hella excited.

Anyways, I hope you all are doing well and that the change in seasons isn't making you all as crabby as it's making me.

Peace Christ,
Amado.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:13 PM, Blogger Joel said…

    Yes, the stars do suck here. I can hardly see the north star let alone the big dipper. Thankfully though I enjoy the changing seasons and fall is definitly in the air.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home