Lasallian Volunteers 2006-2007

He has called us each by name...

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

who i met today

i met jose.

today, jose told me about how he was a 19 year old lance corporal in the mountains of korea in 1951. he told me about having to wipe his ass with snow in the mountains and having to search around for clean snow to drink, but how even that wasn't enough to fight dehydration. he told me about his company coming across a group of three french tanks that were lost and seperated and how glad the frenchmen were to see a bunch of Mexicano and Cubano servicemen. he told me about seeing people burnt to bits with napalm and white phosphorous in the forest in those mountains.

he told me about the yellow river being so choked with blood and bodies that it turned red for miles. and how that and the napalm and the phosphorous and the bodies and the yellow river turning red still kept him awake at night.

and afterwards, he called me friend and squeezed my shoulder. that's who i met today.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:08 AM, Blogger Beth said…

    I'm glad he had you to talk to. God is using you Amado.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home