Lasallian Volunteers 2006-2007

He has called us each by name...

Thursday, October 26, 2006

"We should not be in school on Halloween!"

Well, I realize it has been quite sometime since I have "blogged." But, I'll try to give you some highlights from the last few weeks:
I finally feel like I am in the groove of things here in Philly. I am slowly making some friends and school is smoothing out. We had a soccer tournament (Jahmese's boys were in it too) a few weeks ago. All the 5th, 6th, and 7th graders were required to go as part of our Sat. programs we do for the kids. It was the first chill atmosphere I have been in with the kids. When the kids were not playing they got to play other games and listen to music. Well, I started dancing with some of the kids...at first they were embarassed that their teacher was dancing...haha! Then they were sooo suprised I knew the music, they told me I was too old to know that music. But, then they told me I could actually dance, and one of my 5th graders kindly suggested some local clubs I should check out! Wow!

For my birthday, some of the 7th grade girls, who have named me "Baby Spice" (for some reason, they have named all of the teachers after the Spice Girls), gave me a card and lollipop. My 6th grade girls, on the other hand, were so kind as to give me my first fight to break up! Luckily, Paul was in a classroom close by to help me break it up before it got out of hand!

A funny little thing that happened. The other day a 5th grader told me that she was not going to come to school on Halloween because "We should not be in school on Halloween...it is a holiday!" Trying to hold back laughter, I told her that Halloween was not the kind of holiday we get off of school for. In stead, we get the day after, All Saints Day, off! I love Catholic Schools!

My parents came for a visit for my birthday. They drove 15 hours to get here just for the weekend...I know they are crazy! We visited the Eastern State Penitentiary. No, we didn't vist prisoners. For those of you who do not know, it is the oldest prison in the United States. My dad, being a correctional officer, took some interest in it, and it was actually really interesting. We got to see Al Capone's prison cell! Besides that, we ate a lot of good food, wandered around Philly and Camden some, and did a little shopping. It was so great to have them see where I live and work.

The Camden Volunteers, two soon-to-be brothers, and I went out for my birthday. Jahmese posted a pic. As you can see we had fun!!!

I hope all is well with you all! I don't know about you but I have enjoyed getting emails talking about midyear! I can't wait!

4 Comments:

  • At 7:02 PM, Blogger Mary said…

    Sounds like everything is going well for you, I'm glad. I really want to visit you soon- we should plan a weekend!

     
  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger Erica said…

    Glad you're doing well!! That ESP haunted house was tooooo scary for me!! You Philly folks should come visit soon!!

     
  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger Kelly said…

    Speaking of things six graders say, I jokingly asked a six grader if he was going to the Halloween dance with anyone. He said, "No cus that way I can dance with as manly ladies as I want." So sweet coming from a kid that barely passes my shoulder in height.

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger Casey said…

    I'm so glad to hear things are going well. Thank you so much for the letter you sent Beth and I. It definitely touched our hearts!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home