Lasallian Volunteers 2006-2007

He has called us each by name...

Monday, August 07, 2006

Comfort Food and Colds

Sounds like everyone made it safely home from NTI. I hope none of you took the cold home that I managed to acquire. I'm so stuffed up I have about half my normal hearing. Highly annoying. Oh well, such is life. I'll be well by the time I arrive at my site, which is the important thing really.


I mentioned at some point during orientation I might post recipes here on the blog and got an enthusiastic yes from someone. So here goes. I will be using my family of five ( I have a sister two years behind me and a brother 5 years behind me) as a reference for how far the meal will go. This is an easy to make hot fudge that takes about 15 min. Great over ice cream and wonderful for those days when chocolate is a necessary escape.

Homemade Hot Fudge

1 cup sugar
2/3 c unsweetened cocoa
3 Tbs. Flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 & 1/2 c milk
2 Tbs. butter/margarine
1 tsp vanilla

Combine sugar, cocoa, flour, and salt in a medium saucepan. While stirring (wire whisk works best) slowly pour in the milk. Mix well. Stir over medium heat until sauce begins to boil. The longer you boil it the thicker it will get. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and butter until it is melted. If it's too thick thin it by adding small amounts of milk and stir it in well. One batch will feed a family of 5 for a couple days.
You can increase the heat to shorten the time, just stir faster and be more cautious. It will go from not boiling to boiling pretty much instantly at the high setting. On low you have a longer period where it begins to boil.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger Jolleen said…

    Nice post Joel!!!

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger Justine said…

    Okay, between your hot fudget recipe and Sandra's post about the Albanian pizza shop in the Bronx, I have been made rather hungry! Agh! I still have wait an hour for lunch break!

    I'll be contacting Sandra and Bronx crew today to coordinate a day at the Botanical Garden!

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Beth said…

    Yea about that cold business....we may need to talk now that my voice is STARTING to come back...tho you can't make me laugh, cause everytime I do that, I start coughing like I'm gonna lose a lung! I think its the avian flu...;-)

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Joel said…

    Beth,

    Hear no evil and speak no evil are covered. I just hope no one got see no evil. ;)
    I guess we got hit by some east coast bugs we don't often get on the west. Just as a side note lemon tea is very good for sore throats. It has a bit of a numbing property which makes it possible to swallow again if you have a really nasty cold or even strep throat.

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger Sandra S said…

    Yum!! sounds good!! by the way I was sick too for three days after NTI!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home