Lasallian Volunteers 2006-2007

He has called us each by name...

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Back-to-School at LSA & Tipped Kayaks

Hey everyone! Things here in Philly continue to go well. I am starting to become somewhat acquainted with the city or at least the areas I frequent. There are a lot of places I want to explore, but I'm finding that "free" time is not plentiful, as I am sure you all know.

Paul and I started at La Salle academy last week with meetings and such. A few highlights include: loooong meetings!, science experiments, working on a code of conduct, staining a donated picnic table, my first bulletin board :)...(I must say I had lots of fun), and well just more meetings! Despite testing my ability to sit for 2 to 3 hour periods, I feel like I learned some and for sure got excited for the year. I had forgotten how fun grade/middle schools can be. They are so much brighter and colorful than college or even high school for that matter! It has really been fun for me to be in this new environment. I can't wait to start doing art projects with the kids!

Yesterday, was the first day for the students. We have roughly 75 kids. I haven't gotten to see them much because art class or homework club doesn't start until next week, but it is good to have their energy around. I really can't wait to get to know them better.

For Labor Day, Paul and I traveled through the hurricane Ernesto leftovers (coming from the Midwest, I had NO idea I would ever experience the effects of a hurricane in Philly, I mean it wasn't that big of a deal, but I was nervous!) to meet up with some other East Coast LVs in Lake George, NY. We literally decided to go at 9:30am and left at 10:15sih am. But, it was a good decision. We all really had some relaxing time canoeing, kiyaking, enjoying nature, and playing "progressive shirades"! It was a good time. I wish you all could have been there. Especially to see Paul and I tip our kayaks! haha! No lie, it was a sight to see!

I hope all is going well for you all as well. Happy Back-to-School and other Sites!

2 Comments:

  • At 7:12 AM, Blogger Beth said…

    You mean all that time in the Dunleavy room didn't prepare you for those loooong meetings?? He he! It was so good to see all of you this weekend...and yes, the tipped Kayaks were a sight... how did the newspaper in the shoes work out?

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Blogger Martin said…

    Yeah, Paul, I blamed that dent in the van on you as well, so you probably don't want to come visit Albany for a while

     

Post a Comment

<< Home